Saturday, August 2, 2008

Fat Johnnie's Hot Dogs--A Southside Delicacy





Take a look at what we ate for lunch!
We've made an "L List" of one last thing or places we'd like to see while in Illinois. Eating a Fat Johnnie's hot dog was on the list. We've heard all about them, but you've got to see this for yourself.
Fat Johnnie's is located on the South side of Chicago in a pretty rough area. We were the only white people around except for Fat Johnnie. Doc said the place resembled the back of a old bus. Orders are taken from a small window and all you can see is a very large man's belly with a not so clean apron. The hot dog is wrapped in cello paper and a brown paper bag.
Doc, Sister Roach and I had the Father-in-law. It was a homemade tamale in a poppyseed hot dog bun with chili, melted cheese, diced onions, a slice of cucumber and a tomato wedge. Sounds like trouble huh. President Roach had a true Chicago-style hot dog. His had the same condiments except with an all beef hot dog instead of a tamale. Surprisingly, it was really, really good!
What made us laugh is Sister Roach offered Tums before and after we ate. Doc and I took her up on the offer.

3 comments:

Shortcake and Company said...

I'm glad you were able to go. I remember you telling me about this place. Oh the places you'll go for good food. I love the part about the Tums too.

Tiffany Fairbanks said...

I love how Sis. Roach is always prepared...how fun!

Meg said...

Oh wow! I don't know if my stomach could handle that!