Monday, June 30, 2008

"They Say It's Your Birthday--Gonna Have a Good Time"


Saturday marked Doc's 72 birthday!
I keep telling everyone, he may be 72 but he doesn't act a day over 16.

The day started out with an almost 3-hour bike ride. Doc agreed for us to join Dr. John Workman, his dentist and High Priest Group Leader, for the stake's annual fun run. Instead of running, we planned on biking. We started at a lush forest preserve called Herrick Lake. We then rode to the Blackwell Forest Preserve. Due to recent rains, the area is so green and beautiful. They have small crushed limestone paths throughout most of the forest preserves in the area.

Around 6 p.m. we met President and Sister Roach for dinner. Doc wanted to dine at the Olive Garden. We split an order of the Tour of Italy (kind of fitting since we had biked earlier and did the Tour of DuPage County).

The evening was capped off with the senior couples joining us for freshly baked pumpkin pie--Doc's favorite dessert.

He seemed to completely enjoy his birthday. Thank you for all the nice gifts and birthday greetings. He loved every card, phone call and e-mail. I think he was happy with his new black iPod Nano too. Sister Roach teased him that "electrical devices" are simply not permitted on missions and he'll just have to pack it up and send it home.

It's hard to believe but in two short months we'll be packing up and sending both of us home along with the Nano!

4 comments:

Shortcake and Company said...

That does sound like a fun birthday. What a way to celebrate! We love you, Doc!

Jdougolsen said...

Happy Birthday, Doc!

Let me know when you get home, so that I can come to your home coming meeting.

Tiffany Fairbanks said...

2 SHORT MONTHS.....2 SHORT MONTHS....2 SHORT MONTHS.....I am dancing and singing as I say it!

Meg said...

I'm glad Doc had a good birthday. We can't wait to celebrate it next year in person!