The song goes, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." That's just what it did on January 12, 2011! We were warned Nor'easter Winter Storm Benedict was scheduled to hit around midnight. We awoke to a winter wonderland. This is exactly what I pictured snow storms to be in the Northeast.
The snow just kept on falling throughout the day. The news tells us it's a record setting snowfall for one day. West Hartford recorded 22 inches. Bradley International Airport had 22.5 inches. Most flights were canceled, which is kind of sad since four missionaries were scheduled to fly out this morning.
The picture above is Doc standing just outside of our front door. The snow reaches mid-thigh!
Here's me (Nanook of the North) bundled up for a walk in the snow.
Look how beautiful this stream looks dressed in winter white.
Yup, you guessed it. Those mounds are really cars buried in snow. We heard on the news that young men have been going around digging people out and charging anywhere between $30 to $50 a car.
The first time the maintenance crew used this track hoe to move snow, I could tell Doc had that look in his eye that he'd love to commandeer the equipment. This is what they use to clean the sidewalks most of the time. Today they used a snowblower too.
Here's a picture of the road just outside of our apartment complex. It's one of the main thoroughfares but not today! People have been asked to stay off the roads, if at all possible. Many roads have closed and have stranded motorists.
Anyone for a barbecue?
Even the antenna ball looked pretty cute.
You know Doc. He'll finds a way to be of service. When we walked by the first time, a family were trying to get to their car. Doc walked to the maintenance shed and borrowed a shovel. He even wore the snow boots I bought him last year specifically to shovel snow in.
This just looked too picturesque with the ducks, bridge and frozen stream.
I guess you could say we survived a true New England Nor'easter and are grateful for the experience.
It is so beautiful!











5 comments:
I can't wait to see the pictures of Dad trying to shovel the snow off all of the grass.
Oh. my. word! It really is a "winter wonderland." Thank goodness you are able to stay safe and not travel in such conditions. I have to admit seeing pictures of you two just makes me miss you like crazy!! Especially because I know how Doc is with shoveling snow and it warms my heart. Love you two!
The weather fairy has struck again! She is claiming full responsibility!! :)
That really is amazing! I love a good winter storm. You look so cute all bundled up!
I love the part about Doc itching to get his hands on snow removal. That is so endearing. It sure is a winter wonderland. And I agree with Meg, you do look adorable all bundled up.
Post a Comment